This is odd really because they are obviously crucial to our health and our survival and they are always busy taking in oxygen from the air and expelling carbon dioxide.
Along with the air we breathe come toxins – smoke, particles and pollen.
The lungs are “Front line” organs just like the stomach they bear the brunt of the environment hitting them.
And when that environment has toxins from exhaust smoke, tobacco smoke or particulates from construction or other industrial activity the lungs show the signs of damage which of course we do not see!
Detoxifying your lungs starts with “Removing the Cause”
We start to cure any disease or remedy any condition by stopping it getting worse. In Naturopathy this is summed up as, “Remove the cause”. Whether that means using an air filter or ceasing to smoke without cutting the intake of toxins detox cannot start.
If the toxins are from tobacco products and you cannot stop then consider using nicotine patches. Yes nicotine is a toxin but breaking the habit to smoke is crucial since it stops the act of lighting up and breathing the combustion products and smoke and it stops further damage to the lungs.
It is because the lungs have such tremendous over capacity for our normal lives that people can lose lung function by smoking for year after year before it becomes obvious to them how damaging smoking really is.
To Detox the lungs we need to realise that toxins do not sit meekly in the lungs doing nothing. Toxins cause trouble and the trouble usually means inflammation.
More trouble comes in the tension felt as the lungs and surrounding muscles limit further intake of toxins by tensing up making it harder to breath.
And when you struggle to breathe you panic.
About now would be good time to start healing your lungs, so let’s get going with these Top 10 Steps to Detox your lungs.
Lung Detox – 10 Action Steps
1. Reduce all the exposure to particles.pollen and animal dander that you can. This simply adds to the burden the lungs carry all day and night. At the very least keep your sleeping area scrupulously dust and animal free.
2. Reduce allergic foods in your diet. A dietrich in greens and other superfoods will supercharge you with thevitality that your lungs are struggling to provide.
3.Blood sugar control is essential. Sugar must be removed from your diet along with fruit juices. When your blood sugar is doing a roller coaster your blood is flooded with adrenaline and cortisol making it hard or impossible to relax and breath normally.
4.Stress control is the other side of controlling blood sugar. Do all you can to reduce the pressure on you and your lifestyle. Nothing is more important than restoring full function of your lungs!
5.Now would be the time to learn to breath properly and yes I know that sounds odd. Babies always breath properly – you can see their belly move when they breath. We should just copy them! When you breath in the belly should push out and when you relax on the breathing out your belly should just relax back into place. This is usually the opposite of what most people do and is why we do not relax and flow into nature– we are fighting our natural way of breathing. Any gentle yoga class will help you get to breath properly.
6.While we are talking about Yogis, drinking ” BreatheDeep” Yogi Tea regularly will help the lungs heal. It is a caffeine free herbal tea that will help you.
7. A superfood that works powerfully on the lungs is garlic. Garlic pills also work and should be taken daily. If anyone accuses you of garlic breath encourage them to take the Garlic pills too. And make some new friends while you are at it-ones that eat garlic!
8. Help your adrenals. Lung congestion and toxicity beat the hell out of your adrenal glands so that they need help so that your lungs can heal. The simplest way to help your adrenals is to take Siberian Ginseng for a few months. Other types of ginseng are fine whether American, Korean or Chinese, all of them work on restoring and healing the body.
9. Saunas and “face saunas” or Steam may be very helpful in relaxing the lungs and helping to liquefy and mobilise toxic deposits in the lungs.
10. Anti-inflammatory supplements such as omega 3 oil and vitamin C are essential to reduce the inflammationin the lungs. You will need much higher doses than usual. I take 3 to 5 grams of vitamin C a day normally and when dealing with health issues I would typically double my dosage.
Even seasoned detoxers often ignore the lungs. These 10 tips to clear out lung congestion and inflammation will go a long way to help you detox your lungs.
You might then want to move on to Detox your colon.
In most traditional medical systems there is a close relationship between the health of your lungs and the health of the colon. It could well be that a colon cleanse would be the best action to support your newly detoxed lungs.
In either case I wish you Happy Detoxing!
Reaources Hey Paul Studios for the Lungs Image